Thursday, October 9, 2008

Time flies...

Wow!! I can't believe my baby will be 8 weeks old tomorrow!! Time flies & I don't seem to find time to update my blog near as often as I should. We have had a rough 8 weeks, but we're getting into a routine now.

Avery had severe reflux for the first 5 weeks of her life. We tried 3 different formulas, but nothing seemed to work. For the past few weeks she has been throwing up about every other time she ate. This really concerned Ben & I, but the Dr. didn't seem all that concerned saying that some babies have problems with reflux, so on and so forth. She went to the Dr. before we left for the beach & she was just now back up to her birth weight, so we decided to increase her calories so she'll put on some weight. Well what he suggested didn't work b/c it was more formula (which her stomach couldn't handle & would throw up). So, then we tried putting a little rice cereal in her bottle to make it thicker thinking maybe it would stay down easier. Things got a little better, but she was still throwing up often. (Side note: She wasn't just spitting up...it was like vomiting her whole bottle back up) So, I called the Dr. back while we were in Florida & made it clear that things were still not working. So, now we're trying her on Zantac for reflux. She's been on the meds for two weeks & she has made a complete 360. Today marks a week that she has not spit up!!!! She's on Infamil A.R. which is for babies who spit up frequently, rice cereal & the Zantac. I read where some babies have reflux b/c their esophagus muscles aren't strong enough to keep down food. Hopefully this medicine will help build those muscles & she'll start putting on some weight & growing like she's suppose to. I stepped on the scale with her the other day & it said she weighs 9 lbs. I'm not sure how accurate that is. She goes back to the doctor for her shots & check up on Oct. 16th.

We went to Natchitoches to take some family pictures on Sunday!! Here are a few. Hope you enjoy.






1 comments:

Vaughn Family Chaos said...

hey Rachel,
glad you found time to blog in your new crazy life!! don't be too concerned with the spitting up (my second did the same thing...tried several formulas, ended up on meds, still on soymilk now at 2 1/2) and try not to do much research on the internet because you can't beleive anything you read (I am a certified pediatric RN in a critical care setting). If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help and avoid the medical jargon :)

She is beautiful!!! Hope you and Dad are getting a little rest!!