Wednesday, July 23, 2008

34 1/2 weeks down, Only 5 1/2 more to go!!

Since it has been a little less than a month since my last post, I thought I would update those of you who like to be in "the know" and know what has been going on.

My last doctors appointment was the scariest one I have been to so far. I started my two week appointments last Thursday, July 17, 2008. I have been having some "female problems", so when I went to the doctor I told him what has been going on to see if he could run some tests or at least tell me what I can do to make my "problem" go away. He asked me what I had for breakfast that day & I told him Oatmeal Crisp Almond Crunch cereal (side note: This is the best cereal I have ever tasted, so I have been having it every day since I discovered it in May.) Well, he then proceeded to tell me that I had A LOT of sugar in my urine that morning & they wanted me to come back the nest day (Friday) for another blood glucose test. (I took this same test at 24 weeks & passed with flying colors.) So, I go home not sure about what to think or what do do at this point. I go back to the doctors office at 8AM on Friday morning for the 1 hour blood glucose test. Well, to sum it all up, the results came back that I "failed" the blood glucose test this time. I have gestational diabetes!! I was instructed to buy a glucose meter & check my sugar levels first thing in the morning (8 hour fasting blood) & two hours after every meal & a dietitian would be contacting me to go over a diabetic diet. I'm still having my "problem", but hopefully it will go away soon & that it's not something else.

Ben & I met with the dietitian, Amy, on Monday. I read her what my sugar levels have been over the weekend (Friday-Monday) & they were in the "normal" range. They should be between 70-120. Only a few times have they been over 120, which she said is normal for the levels to fluctuate every now and then. She gave us a list of what a diabetic diet consists of & some food choice ideas.

Ben is such a sweet husband! He is doing the 2000 calorie diabetic diet with me even though he doesn't have to. He said that if I have to go through it then he will too. He has been so sweet, understanding & makes me feel like i'm not alone on this whole adventure. He told the dietitian that the only way he eats 2000 calories a day is if he sleeps most of the day!! haha. Funny, but true!! The diet is somewhat hard to get used to because we are both used to eating whatever & whenever we want. Now we have to watch our carbs & sugars. I am still craving ice cream & icees which are big no-no's, but I know that this is in the best interest of me & Avery. And plus, I only have 5 1/2 more weeks & the diabetes usually goes away after birth. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

So, today is Wednesday & my sugar levels are still in the "normal" range, so that is very good news. I go back to the doctor next Thursday, July 31, 2008. Starting in August is when I will start going weekly. Avery moves ALL THE TIME & sometimes I feel like she is going to bust through my belly button. But that's ok because I would rathar feel her move than not.

Please continue to keep Ben, Avery & I in your prayers.

0 comments: